Internet Devices

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      denismartindale
      Participant

We can access the Internet on our computers and laptops as well as Android devices such as tablets and set-top boxes and TV sticks as well as on modern Smart TVs such as the large screen 4K wi-fi and ethernet enabled TVs. We get various TV apps as well as Android apps and Firestick apps. So while these are available it helps if we buy the 4K devices and use the Settings to customise our receivers. YouTube has been updating us on various devices for years yet in recent months we are getting restrictions on the Amazon Firesticks and the ROKU set-top box as well. So we need to see what the companies are restricting or adding adverts and whatever privacy they want regardless of what we want.

The google–com website may lead to several updates but these may be out-of-date within weeks as every device that has the software update option can make drastic and unwelcome changes that YouTube gurus alert us to.

Some gurus are recommending other devices while other gurus tell us that some devices have pre-installed malware. We can’t just rely on customer reviews, we need gurus and their in-depth analysis.

youtube–com

denismartindale
        Participant

I wanted to start up the ROKU box today. It detected the Sandisk USB2 32GB drive and asked to format it. I didn’t know what was on it. So I switched off, ejected the drive and inserted a brand new and unused drive. This would have Sandisk files on it already and yet ROKU still wanted to format it. So I agreed and watched the percentage progress display reach 100%. The drive was now formatted. Any contents could be accessed using the SHELBY USB MEDIA PLAYER app.

denismartindale
          Participant

I checked that formatted USB drive by switching off the ROKU box and then restarting it. The Home screen appeared. The USB was detected but as it was already formatted no action was taken and the Home screen remained available. The Shelby Media Player was accessed again and I checked other Shelby apps for music and for photo apps. The Settings section helps us customise the features we can to suit us. We can allow other apps to be made aware that we have the USB drive connected, just in case they have extra options for it.

denismartindale
            Participant

Many of us use our computers to access the Internet and we may have old versions of Windows or old web browser versions. We learn that some websites will block us because of these older devices or browsers. So we see the recommended alternatives and consider these, too. We install other browsers such as Chrome, Firefox, Microsoft Edge and Opera and hope for the best. Then we think we’re on the ball, so to speak. Even so, there are setbacks and extra storage space gets used up. I use 360 Security as it can check the computer and find files that aren’t necessary and can be safely deleted. However, I don’t want the Internet Cache files deleted as I need to check the various web browser folders to maintain these. Today, I found over 6GB of storage space got used up and 3 GB were kept and 3.7GB got deleted by 360 Security.

I also use a File Manager PC program called XYPLORER FREE and this keeps its own cache files for the thumbnail images in each opened computer folder. So I access the folder and delete the database files there to get back a few more GB space.

The Irfanview image viewer and editor PC program can access folders and list the image files there. There are large files that have low compression rates and these can be concerted to different file extensions. The eBay website uses the smaller files called webp and also jpg so we just manually edit the image URL to view each of these. It’s Irfanview that offers us the batch conversion feature. So we save the converted images into a separate folder, check they are there and then delete the originals in the original folder.

The Internet cache files are in each of the web browsers’ folders usually identified as Default and then Cache or Cache Data. Modern web browsers change the original files and switch to f_ and then the numbers. There are no extension names. There are Nirsoft Internet Cache Folder viewers for Firefox and Internet Explorer and so on. We can search for image files and all the rest in these programs. Otherwise, we use Folder Viewers and find the f_ named files and change the lot to .gif files and view these and get whatever images saved or viewd and deleted.

All of these editing suggestions help to maintain computers but aren’t easy if we don’t maintain the files regularly.

As for Android devices there are basic File Managers and Explorers as well as the ES-Explorer app or apk to install. We can see thumbnails and move files to SD cards and USB drives such as the 32GB Sandisk drives sold on Amazon and eBay. We can free up some storage space that way. We may find some cache applications that help to maintain the storage space even more and some virus apps can do these checks and clean up directories.

So there are options for our computers and Internet Android devices whether using Internet resources or Google Play Store apps.

denismartindale
              Participant

The Amazon Fire Stick has its own apps store and a recent YouTube video was about a quick app called TRACE VANISH. It deletes unnecessary apk installation files and leftover apk files, too. So I typed in the search for trace and TRACE VANISH showed up. I installed it and then opened it and deleted the files that I could but not the Internet cache files as they might still be helpful.

When done, I noticed other Cleaner apps and one app image looked like a Superhero so I installed that and it deleted a few more unwanted files, too. It optimized the Fire Stick as well.

YouTube search for Amazon Fire Stick Storage and Cleaner apps.

http://www.youtube.com

denismartindale
                Participant

There are some Internet Tools Websites for just one problem but I recently got a suggestion to visit this website for dozens of tools and problem-solver and it’s here:

http://www.10015.io

I tested on my computer but it has been stated that it works for Android devices as well.

I resized a computer image to get it showing the 1920×1080 screen size. It created a png image in seconds and I copied that to my computer. I noticed the svg image converter as well. I checked the font pairing tool and studied dozens of font demos there. So http://www.10015.io is a quick way to check what’s available for future use and that’s why I saved it as an Internet Bookmark.

This is not one of those website you need to register on. Check text tools, image tools, and fonts tools and see what else could be useful.

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.