Technical Advice

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      denismartindale
      Participant

Start off with google–com and youtube–com for tricks and tips and equipment updates.

denismartindale
        Participant

Most faults are usually going to lead to switch off and switch on again choices but we ought to delay the switch on for a while to help clear out existing memory of the data that isn’t working. Some equipment will offer a reset button or a tiny reset option on the back panel or underneath the equipment. Sometimes there are remote control actions or Menus or SubMenu actions required. A total reset is something to avoid if possible. Google and YouTube will offer us various tricks and tips and even remote control codes such as for Sky remotes and their different version numbers as well as the brand and model of the TV and whatever code or codes might work.

Some gurus on YouTube has offered us incredible workarounds when things go wrong, yet these may be updated later and improved so we need to keep note of what the video description is and the identity of the person offering us such details. Computers can save such content as a complete website web page or bookmark the web page for us as a favourite.

Service manuals are available as PDF files and these can be studied better if we increase the zoom value eg from 100% to 150% instead.

Otherwise, we could spend a fortune on expensive Helpline numbers if no 0800 alternatives exist.

denismartindale
          Participant

I have 4K Smart TVs and sometimes need to adjust the settings. So I have explored various ways to help improve the picture quality and one type of picture control is to do with the fast playbacks of certain shows. The speed motion is something that YouTube gurus may have recommended that we switch such controls off. Even so, here’s something that I noticed this week:

EDITED QUOTE:

Turn on motion smoothing to watch the Olympics (and then turn it off)

“Television enthusiasts typically rail against the motion-smoothing feature included in many TVs. I know because I’m one of them. I tell people to turn off the feature whenever possible. However, there is one important exception: live sports. That includes the major worldwide sporting event many people will sometimes watch this summer, the Paris Olympics. Turn motion smoothing on for sporting events. It’s one of the few cases where motion smoothing looks good.”

::::::

Another factor that I’ve been told about is that the High Street stores have TV demo settings for sales purposes so we may need to experiment with the colours that we recognise as correct and set up one of the customised options such as USER or CINEMA or VIVID or SPORTS. I had to do this recently with the tint colour settings for red and green options to match an Internet device’s default colours I’ve seen for years.

denismartindale
            Participant

Audio Description, Sign Language, Subtitles and Screen display options.

Our audio and video devices may have extra settings beyond the screen formats 4:3 and 16:9 displays. When we use the set-top boxes for Freeview, Freesat and Sky we use the I for info action to see details for widescreen, sign language and audio description. The settings may be changed so we can customise the displays for sign language or subtitles. The widescreen setting shows the extreme left and right. The 4:3 setting may be displaying well. Otherwise, we try the 4:3 pan and scan options. Or letterbox as a different option, or the zoom option. The central screen area view shows a limited zoom display which could be useful for small text views, maps or order numbers for the shopping TV channels. The 4:3 option also shows a wider view of the central area so it appears as the full widescreen display and the full height display. Sign language may offer us the English language screen view or the original foreign language screen view. Beyond these another option is Audio Description when the action is explained on the screen. There may be sound control settings for the maximum volume instead of anything the original scenes may offer.

So we don’t just have to sit there accepting the current default or customised settings. We can customise yet again for the older films and TV screen views for temporary and yet better displays and we can switch back later when these have ended. So if we have 4:3 or 16:9 TV screens we could test what works before our favourite shows begin. Then we may see different displays for the titles and the credits rather than the main content. So find out what works. One way is to download content using a Sky box and your paid subscription. Some i-for-info key options reveal the HD or SD picture quality, SL for sign language, WS for widescreen, and AD for audio description or if subtitled. Different TV series may have started 4:3 and later became 16:9 so bear these variations in mind. You may not want to see text on the TV screen so choose episodes and their TV options as you require if granted the choice from available films and shows.

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.